While shopping at one of my favorite stores (a grocery store, obviously!), I came across this:
How interesting is that? Of course, I had to get one to try for myself!
Some quick research revealed:
- referred to as fingered citron, because the fruit splits at the opposite end of the tree’s stem forming segments that have a wild finger-like appearance
- flesh is void of juice, pulp and seeds
- Infuse light spirits such as vodka, flavor sugar or salt for use in other recipes
- substitute anywhere standard lemon zest is requested
- slice into strips and candy the peel in simple syrup
The taste was quite interesting. It was a tad sweeter than regular lemon, but definitely not as sweet as an orange. I don’t know that I’d go out of my way to buy it again, but it was a fun experiment! If I had it, a candied peel recipe or citron salt look like great ideas.
Have you ever seen or used this before? Buddha’s Hand was definitely a new-to-me item!
I’m off to make green smoothies–gotta keep up with the challenge! Have a great day!