How is it the last Friday of winter break already?!? It went by so quickly, but then again, it always does. The holidays were wonderful and the time off of work was restful and rejuvenating.
1. It seems like everyone is looking to make a dietary change for the new year, but I think it can be a bit overwhelming or discouraging to try a strict plan filled with items you “can’t eat”. Instead, consider this: try to ADD one healthy food item to your daily intake.
That’s it. It’s sometimes referred to as “crowding-out”, where you look to add foods that are nutrient dense into your diet. The impact will be less room for the less-healthy items. And small changes can make a big difference in the long run.
2. Speaking of new produce, my latest find at the grocery store this week was DEFINITELY a winner.
Purple sweet potatoes!!! So good. So purple!
I’ve seen purple potatoes before, but not purple SWEET potatoes. I was thrilled!
Being the supportive wife that I am, I made chips (here’s how) to help appropriately fuel my husband as he cheered for the Vikings. I’m guessing I’ll be making another batch tomorrow.
3. Warm salads are where it’s at lately! Atop a bed of greens and a few raw veggies, I toss roasted veggies (like purple sweet potatoes!) and warmed protein (leftover chicken, beans, whatever I find in the fridge).
4. While breaking a sweat on the arc-trainer (similar to an elliptical machine) at the gym the other day, I came across this idea in a magazine.
Looks delicious, and I love the healthier twist on the recipe.
5. Spending time at home over break has allowed me to catch up on some great music–all sorts of genres and artists. Bob and I have had tunes playing in the background quite frequently, and we’ve both commented on how enjoyable it is. I’ve missed having the presence of great music on a daily basis! Something to think about:
Happy Friday!! Have a great weekend!