Although the turnout wasn’t as large as before, last Monday’s seminar went really well. I think people learned a bit about reading labels, found new ideas for healthy swaps when making party appetizers, and the dishes I brought for sampling were a hit!
Here are this week’s Friday’s Five (from the Health and Wellness Seminar)!
1. I made a vegan chili, just to demonstrate that it can be just as good as a chili with meat!
2. Bob helped me make our favorite snack: Coconut Oil Popcorn!
4. I also brought the following dip. Perfect for the fall (pumpkin!), easy to make (simply combine), and has a nice dose of protein (greek yogurt!).
Pumpkin Dip (makes a lot!)
- 1 can (~2 c.) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 c. greek yogurt
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 T. pure maple syrup (or to taste), or honey
- 1 t. vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients together, stir, taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with apple slices, pear slices, graham crackers, ginger cookies, or jicama slices.
5. We also talked about goji berries. Have you had these?!? I’ve developed a mild addiction for these dried bites of goodness, and the strange thing is I didn’t really like them at first. But they grew on me. Same with Bob. And now we can’t get enough! Some interesting information about their benefits:
- rich in antioxidants
- contain numerous naturally occurring minerals (Zinc, Germanium, Selenium, Zinc, Iron, Copper and Phosphorus)
- contain 19 Amino Acids including Isoleucine and Methione.
Have a great weekend! And stay tuned–I will post the chili recipe soon!