For a quick, healthy and filling dinner last week, I made some minor adjustments to a Martha Stewart recipe I found. I usually roast them–which is delicious–but I was in the mood to try something new.
Lemon Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Quinoa
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, shredded (thinly slice by hand, or food processor)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- EVOO (Misto)
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1/2 t. ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 c. cooked quinoa (2 servings)
With a bit of EVOO, sauté the brussels sprouts, bell pepper, onion powder, pepper and salt until the brussels sprouts turn a bright green and are “crisp-tender” (about 10 minutes over med/high heat).
Remove from heat, add lemon juice and quinoa, and stir together. Makes 2 big dinner servings.
MIWFY: This is a vegan recipe and does not contain gluten.
A few side notes about quinoa (source):
- Although treated as one, quinoa is not a grain. It is part of the spinach, swiss chard and beet family.
- Nutrient dense and gluten-free
- A complete protein source
- Higher in heart-healthy fats than other grains
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Good source of calcium, folate, copper and phosphorus
- Good source of concentrated antioxidant phytonutrients
What I love best about quinoa is that it’s so easy to prepare! It take no more than 15 minutes, start to finish.
Basic Preparation of Quinoa
- Combine 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water/broth in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to simmer for 12-15 minutes, covered