Saturdays tend to be a big workout day for me. I have the time to get in a good sweat and go to my favorite yoga class. As the day goes on, I’m usually running errands, grocery shopping and possibly planning for some Saturday night fun. So when hunger strikes mid-afternoon, it’s nice to have a snack that is protein-packed (muscle recovery, baby!), filling (hold me over until dinner!) and easy to make (I have more errands to run!). Oh yes, and delicious!!
Protein Apple Bake (serves 1)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 scoop/serving vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior)
- 1/2 T. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
Directions: In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir to evenly coat the apples with the mixture. Microwave for 1:30 on high power. Stir, and microwave for 1:30 more, or until apples are cooked to your liking. (Or bake in a 375°F oven for 20-30 minutes.)
- Add a dash of nutmeg and/or ginger powder to shake-up the flavor!
- Add 1 t. of maca powder (fights fatigue, boosts energy).
- After cooking, sprinkle cacao nibs on top.
I love this snack, especially in the winter. In the summer, I make more smoothies (like my favorite apple pie smoothie), but when it’s cold, this piping hot, cooked apple feels like comfort food at it’s best!