Here’s a quick, refreshing, light, side-dish idea! I saw bean sprouts at Mariano’s, and had the urge to buy them. I thought I’d make a stir-fry with them–which is delicious–but when it came time to make dinner, I opted for a raw veggie side-salad.
Raw Thai Bean Sprout Salad (serves 6)
- 1 lb bean sprouts
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c. diced sweet onion
- 1 carrot, shredded or diced
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 t. chili paste
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. coconut aminos (or tamari, soy sauce, Braggs liquid aminos)
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 t. minced ginger
- 1 t. honey
- 1 T. sesame seeds
1. Combine bean sprouts, bell pepper, onion, carrot and grape tomatoes in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds. Whisk to combine, and then pour over the veggies. Stir everything together, and allow to sit for 20 minutes (or longer).
3. Prior to serving, sprinkle raw or toasted sesame seeds on top.
A little about mung bean sprouts = bean sprouts (source)
“These are the large sprouts that are common in supermarkets. They’re crisp and nutty, and they’re the best sprouts for stir-frying, though they can also be served raw. Select bean sprouts that are crisp and white with just a tinge of yellow. To keep them fresh, rinse them off and immerse them in cold water, then store them in the refrigerator. They’re very perishable, so try to use them within a day or two. Canned bean sprouts are a very poor substitute for fresh.”
In addition, bean sprouts are . . . .
- low in calories, fat and sodium
- rich in vitamins (Vitamin C) and minerals (potassium)
- good source of vegetarian protein
We also decided to try using coconut aminos instead of our usual tamari. I had been wanting to try it and finally found some on sale.
In this recipe, we couldn’t taste any difference between what I would normally use and the coconut aminos. However, Bob and I decided to do a “straight-up” taste test between coconut aminos, tamari and Bragg’s liquid aminos the other night. It was interesting! Stay tuned for a post on our thoughts between the three!