They are sneaky because they are unexpectedly healthy.
Because they have more protein and fiber than their less-healthy counterparts.
Because they are so easy to make, that even I could do it!
Oh, and, they are made with beans. See? Sneaky!
Well, I had some extra garbanzo beans when I finished stocking our refrigerator and freezer with cooked beans, and still had the food processor sitting on the counter from making homemade almond and peanut butter. Inspired by reading about Katie and Kim making similar goodies, I gave it a go!
Ladies and gentleman, I may have made the best tasting healthy dessert ever.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 c. garbanzo beans (3 servings, about 325 g.)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup NuNaturals Baking Blend (or sugar/sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks or cacoa nibs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place all ingredients except the chocolate in a food processor. Process until smooth.
2. Add the chocolate, and stir to combine.
3. Pour batter into an 8 x 8 inch pan that has been lightly greased.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
MIWFY: These are vegan, sugar-free and gluten-free!
Bob and I both agreed that these were pretty darn awesome! If you haven’t tried baking with beans yet, I encourage you to give it a try!