Yesterday, a new friend and reader, John, asked me about zucchini flowers. He mentioned seeing them (while looking for patty pan squash!) at our local grocery store, but wasn’t sure how to use them. I didn’t know either, so I did what any foodie does: searched online for information, and then bee-lined to the store first thing this morning.
So, I made a quick appetizer with our lunch today to see how they taste.
Stuffed and Baked Zucchini Flowers
- 4 zucchini flowers, rinsed and stamens removed
- 1 oz. your choice of creamy cheese (goat, feta, etc.)
- 1 t. italian seasoning
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- EVOO Misto
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Mix cheese, seasoning, garlic powder and pepper together in a small bowl.
3. Gently spoon the cheese mixture into the flowers, and twist the petal tips to close.
4. Spritz the flowers with a bit of EVOO, and bake for about 10 minutes.
These were tasty little appetizers! The warm herbed cheese was delicious with the delicate flavor accent of the flower.
If you’re having guests over, the zucchini flowers would definitely make for a unique appetizer. The visual appeal is what “makes” it. Has anyone else ever worked with zucchini flowers before? How did you use them?