I was able to finally go back to my weekly yoga class this past weekend! It was amazing.
Remember when I hurt my leg while hiking in Colorado a month ago? Well, I’ve been taking care not to re-injure myself, and I was afraid too many warrior or low-lunge poses would aggravate my leg. Last week, I was finally feeling confident that I could head back to class—and it couldn’t have come at a better time.
This week marks the beginning of my 12th year of teaching! The start of a new school year, a busy teaching schedule, classes at IIN for my health coaching certification, and a desire to continue blogging have me a little anxious and stressed.
But as I walked home from yoga on Saturday morning, I noticed how centered and focused I felt. I am thrilled to be back and thankful to be reminded of how much I need yoga.
The funny thing is that I really did not enjoy yoga when I first tried it. I forced myself to go for a little while, but it didn’t stick. Maybe I matured a bit, or maybe I was just more accepting and comfortable with what yoga is, but when I gave it a second try, I fell in love. Saturday provided a gentle reminder of why I now love yoga:
- It provides a time for me to s-l-o-w-d-o-w-n. I’m not the best at slowing down—I’m a go, go, go person, and that’s not always a good thing.
- I’m reminded to focus on my body and my breathing. These are two things I believe can provide valuable insight into your health and wellbeing.
- I love to run, bike and strength train. Yoga helps me create and maintain balance–both in strength and flexibility.
- Pigeon Pose. Need I say more?
- My yoga teacher always reminds us that “it’s just you and your mat” and “your mat is your island–find your comfort zone–and do what works for you”. There is no competition, no judgement, and all I have to do is work on no distractions.
- Meditation is a valuable restorative practice, but I just can’t get the hang of it. However, I do believe Sun Salutations get me close to that state of mind.
If you practice yoga, what’s your favorite pose? If you don’t, is there a particular reason? Have a great day! Namaste!